Just as the pain from earache affects people in different ways, there are a variety of causes of earache.
Some of them affect the ear itself, others are from conditions affecting areas close to the ears, hence the treatment plan also varies accordingly.
Common reasons for earache include:
1. Fluid building up deep inside the eardrum. Known as glue ear, this affects children more than adults.
2. Infection of the ear canal outside the eardrum (otitis externa).
3. A boil or infected hair follicle in the ear canal.
4. Eczema in the ear canal ( seborrhoeic dermatitis).
5. Injury in the ear canal from objects poked inside, such as cotton buds or sharp objects.
6. Blockages in the ear from plugs of earwax or objects pushed in which have become stuck.
7. Throat infections (including tonsillitis) and colds.
8. Jaw pain, known as temperomandibular joint pain.
9. Dental abscess in the mouth or other tooth pain, such as wisdom teeth problems.
10. Trigeminal neuralgia or facial nerve pain.
These are common causes although the list is endless.
A pain in the ears should never be overlooked and consultation with a ENT specialist is a must.
Dr. Rahul Kapahi
Article Compiled By:
M.B.B.S.(AFMC), DNB - Otorhinolaryngology
Otorhinolaryngologist, ENT Specialist in Dwarka, New Delhi